9/9/08

The Wrestler & Burn After Reading


There are two movies dominating film discussions this week and they are The Wrestler and Burn After Reading.

The Wrestler stars Mickey Rourke and is directed by Darren Aronofsky (who made that epic bad trip Requiem for a Dream). This one has festival buzz whipped up into a clamorous frenzy. There are a lot of die-hard Rourke fans among the film buffs I know; guys who latched on to the actor's presence in eighties classics like Angel Heart and Diner speak of him like he's a long-lost brother who they miss dearly. His battered face has been on the silver screen a few times recently (Sin City, Domino), but his true comeback is long overdue. View clips from The Wrestler and read this frank Time review.

Burn After Reading is a star-studded spy comedy by the Coen brothers. I'm conflicted about this one. The Coens made a comeback of their own last year with No Country For Old Men, one of my favorite films of all time. I find its absorbing style to be utterly riveting no matter how many times I watch it (best dialogue exchange: Loretta: "Be careful." Ed: "Always am." Loretta: "Don't get hurt." Ed: "Never Do." Loretta: "Don't hurt no one." Ed: "Well, if you say so."). So I should be excited about Burn After Reading, but the trailer doesn't do much for me. Brad Pitt's intentionally flamboyant character and costume simply look abrasive and gaudy. So Pitt and costar Clooney are the coolest, most charming guys ever invented - okay, I saw Ocean's Eleven, I fucking get it already! I'm kind of over it. The only cast member I was truly excited to see is Coens alum Frances McDormand. I want to like this film, but the trailer didn't make me laugh once. But I have to trust them because they are masters. Right?

1 comment:

Dan Redding said...

Mickey Rourke turns 52 today and The Wrestler continues to elicit comeback buzz. The AP journalist who interviewed Rourke at the Toronto International Film Festival must've shuddered with journalistic glee when the actor made this confession about the personal issues he works on in therapy: "I still have to work on it every day, because the little guy with the hatchet still lives inside of me, and he's sleeping now. I don't want him to ever wake up again."