9/6/08

Vintage Movie Magazines


The following are images from a batch of old movie magazines that a friend brought in to Photoplay today. I have to admit that I'll take the pulp over the esoteric avant-garde stuff any day. Click any image to enlarge.


'Serial Pictorial' Number 8 features the work of Roy Barcroft, "Republic's Greatest Villain." His character on the cover and in the image below is The Purple Monster (I'd particularly like to watch The Purple Monster Strikes).


I like the above page so much, I'm probably going to frame it. He looks so silly and that gun is utterly impotent, but he's gonna shoot you anyway. I also like it because it reminds me of Charles Burns; this kind of imagery is what fuels his imagination (this image looks like something straight out of Burns' El Borbah).















No comments: